Building Inspector/Codes Enforcement

The City of Loudon Codes Enforcement office is located at 201 Alma Place.  The Codes Enforcement office issues all Building Permits and is responsible for enforcing codes and ordinances in the city.  The Codes Enforcement Officer also ensures the sound construction of new buildings and safe maintenance of existing structures including building, housing, mechanical, plumbing and zoning ordinances and property maintenance.

Building Permit Application>>

Frequently Asked Questions>>

Building Codes

The City of Loudon currently enforces the 2012 International
Residential, Building, Fire, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Gas codes, including any amendments to those codes.

The Codes Enforcement Section of The State of Tennessee Fire Marshal’s office does plan reviews and inspects new construction of the following types.

  1. Places of Assembly with an occupant load over 300.
  2. Hotels, Motels, Apartments and Condominiums (2 story with 12 units or more.)
  3. Business Occupancy (3 story or more.)
  4. High Hazard Industrial.
  5. Day Care
  6. Public and Private Schools.
  7. Prisons
  8. Jails
  9. LP Gas ( class I and class II

Building Inspection

To schedule an inspection call the Building Inspection/Codes Enforcement Office at 865-458-7520.  A 24 hour advance notification would be appreciated.

Electrical Inspections

If you would like to schedule an electrical inspection you should contact the new service coordinator with Loudon Utilities at 865-458-2091 and he will gladly coordinate this with a State Inspector for you.

Planning, Zoning And Historic Zoning

For the Loudon Regional Planning Commission and the Loudon Board of Zoning Appeals and the Loudon Historic Zoning Commission agenda, minutes, meeting calendar, as well as other on-line information such as the City of Loudon Zoning ordinance, subdivision regulations and FEMA flood maps on-line go to


For contractor license information or to file a complaint on a contractor, go to


Tennessee- one- call 1-800-351-1111

Frequently Asked Questions:


Q: When is a building permit required?
A: A building is required prior to any new construction, additions, demolition or
change of use to any building. Accessory structures (storage buildings) need not
have a permit unless the cost is more than $1,000.00. Such structure must be
located in the rear yard and can be no closer than 5feet from all property lines.
Q: Can I build my own home?
A: Yes, you can be the contractor to build your home, but only one time every
two years, any sub-contractor you pay $ 25,000.00 or more must be a state
licensed contractor.
Q: What is the definition of a contractor?

A contractor is any person or entity who undertakes to, attempts to, or submits a
price or offers to construct, supervise, superintend, oversee, schedule, direct, or in
any manner assume charge of the construction, alteration, repair, improve,
movement, demolition, putting up, tearing down, or furnishing labor to install
material or equipment for any building, highway, road railroad, sewer, grading,
excavation, pipeline, public utility structure, project development, housing,
housing development, improvement, or any other construction undertaking for
which the total cost of the same is $ 25000.00 or more.

More info: State of TN Board for Licensing Contractors

Q: Can I plumb my own home?
A: Yes, you may plumb your own home, but if you hire someone they must be
licensed by the State of Tennessee.
Q: What is the penalty if I start construction without a building permit?
A: The penalty is double the permit fee.
Q: If I build a new commercial building what do I have to do to get a building
A: Contact the Codes Enforcement Officer at 865-458-2033.



City Hall | P.O. Box 189 | 201 Alma Place | Loudon, TN 37774 | (865) 458-2033
Local Government Corporation | Webmaster